As a virtual assistant, there are many verticals that you can take in your virtual assistant business depending on your skills. In this article, I have looked at some of the most common types of virtual assistants today.
While you may choose to start as a general VA doing just about anything, focusing on one industry or specialization will help you scale faster and work with clients you can serve better.
1. Real estate assistant
Buying and selling a property involves a lot of paperwork. A virtual real estate assistant can help you with those tedious tasks.
Some things you can do as a virtual real estate agent:
- Real estate data extraction from popular websites like eBay and Craigslist
- Post ads on real estate listing websites
- Scheduling visits from home
- Receive offers
- Negotiation of contracts
- Conducting research on the real estate and property industry
- Carrying out social media campaigns for real estate businesses.
- Database managment
- Research home financing options and mortgage rates.
- Establishment and follow-up of meetings with potential sellers, real estate agents and investors.
Being a real estate VA may be right for you if you want to keep up with real estate trends or if you have been in the real estate business before.
2. General administration assistant
While choosing a niche for your VA business is important, you may sometimes find being a general management assistant lucrative as it attracts a broader range of small businesses.
Some things you can do as a general virtual assistant:
- Manage work emails
- Calendar meeting management
- Project scheduling and management
- Business contact management
- Make travel arrangements
- Data entry and basic document management
- Investigation of potential business partners.
Being a general virtual assistant can pay off because it is versatile, which means it will appeal to all types of small businesses.
A good way to get into this industry is to promote yourself as a clerical specialist or someone who specializes in data entry, research, and proofreading.
3. Website management assistant
Maintaining a WordPress website can be a big effort for many business owners. As a website assistant, you would offer web-related services such as:
- write web content
- update plugins and themes
- correct website errors
- Install and configure certain plugins
- Planning and execution of marketing campaigns in social networks.
- tracking visits to Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube.
- flag spam comments on your blog posts or other web pages.
- design an email newsletter template for your client to use in the future
4. Public relations assistant
Public relations can be great if you love networking and meeting new people. This can also help you in the future, as the connections you foster are useful in the future for your other clients or startups. Your main job is to develop, maintain and improve the perception of your customer or your brands to make them more attractive to the target audience.
Your tasks as a virtual public relations assistant include:
- Calendar management
- Reputation management
- Public relations brainstorming
- Organize and schedule public relations events, such as interviews and booking of podcast guest hosts
- Creation, editing and review of press releases
- Maintain relationships with clients, clients, media and influencers of their clients.
- Review and advice on presentation decks.
- Find and apply for speaking jobs
5. Social media management assistant
If you have an interest in social media, this is a perfect position for you. Social media managers use platforms like Facebook, Twitter to communicate with customers on behalf
As a social media assistant, your virtual assistant services may include:
- Create engaging social content for your customers’ audience for each social media platform
- Planning and scheduling of social media posts
- Engage with the online customer audience
- Respond to social posts primarily by borrowing from the canned responses provided by your customers
- Manage paid campaigns
6. Virtual research assistant
If you are good at doing research online, have the technical knowledge of some of the technical research tools, and know how to interpret the data, this may be the right specification for you. All companies rely on detailed research to scale and remain relevant in the ever-changing and competitive marketplace. Research assistants are responsible for collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data from different sources, such as interviewing experts in the field of study.
Some of the tasks you will help your clients with as a research assistant include:
- Find low competition keywords
- Find facts and verify figures in the industry
- Research of service providers and other relevant databases
- Competitor Analysis Research
- Market research
- Investigation of customer personality
- Marketing channels and distribution research
- Find contact information for business leads
- Find potential customers Track competitor products and services
- Conducting interviews with industry experts and analyzing the data to find out what customers want.
- Investigate and collect information from public sources
- Publication of technical reports for the launch of new products of the company.
- Monitoring of the company’s marketing campaigns.
- Research and publish articles on topics relevant to the business.
You will then need to present your finding in a ready-to-use, easy-to-understand format so that your client’s teams can act on them immediately. For example, you can use Excel or Google Docs to present data sets or a visually appealing pdf to deliver reports such as market segment or customer personality research.
So, in addition to research and analysis tools, you also need to know how to use presentation and visualization tools like PowerPoint and Canva to design great presentations.
7. Sales administration assistant
While most companies have their own in-house sales team, some still prefer to outsource some aspects of their sales process. For individual entrepreneurs, sales assistants are more critical as they don’t have the ability to hire their own salespeople.
As a virtual sales management assistant, your tasks will revolve around:
- Manage sales calendars
- Sales CRM update and maintenance
- Researching prospects
- Creation and submission of proposals pre-approved by your clients.
- Customer billing and tracking of overdue invoices
- Updating sales records such as leads, prospects, customers, and orders.
- Pipeline management
- Advise and update the marketing team especially during periods of time.
A great sales assistant knows how to work with major CRM and sales tools like Salesforce, HubSpot, and email service providers.
8. Content Marketing Assistant
It is made for marketing assistance if you love creating sales copies and enjoy writing marketing content. To make this even more lucrative, carve out a niche in an industry. For example, Marketing Assistant for SaaS companies.
As a virtual assistant, you will be tasked with:
- Research topics for blog posts
- Keyword research
- Preparation of article summaries
- Web content writing
- Website and content review
- Write sales emails
- Create a business marketing strategy
- Implement a marketing strategy
Since your focus revolves around content, you need a good understanding of keyword research, SEO, and copywriting.
9. Outsourcing assistant
Many small businesses, startups, and entrepreneurs rely on the power of outsourcing for their marketing and compliance needs. The problem is that without the proper outsourcing structure and process, this simple task that was meant to help companies do more without costly overhead can prove ineffective.
This is where you come in as an assistant or outsourcing manager. Your tasks will revolve around:
- Track daily or weekly deliverables
- Hiring and management of freelancers
- Project progress monitoring
- Manage your account and outsourcing platform, for example, Fiverr for Business
- Ensure deliverables meet standard quality
- Establish and advise project budgets.
- Determine what to outsource and to whom to outsource
- Creation of the projects to be subcontracted
- Monitor outsourced projects and update status as they change
- Negotiate contracts with freelancers
10. Virtual e-commerce assistant
E-commerce is an industry that is currently exploding as many brick-and-mortar businesses embrace e-shops. Therefore, this means that the demand for virtual assistants with knowledge in managing e-commerce platforms is on the rise.
Some of the services you will provide as an eCommerce assistant include:
- Product listing and management
- Development and maintenance of electronic commerce platforms.
- Inventory management
- Set up systems to facilitate store management
- Application integration
- Creation and management of promotional discount codes
- Write product descriptions
- Taxonomy management and strategy
- Product Classification
To be effective as an ecommerce virtual assistant and serving diverse customers, you need to have a technical understanding of how major ecommerce platforms like Shopify, WooCommerce, Magento, BigCommerce, etc. work.
11. Virtual ticket office assistant
Every company needs to have its books in order. For many small businesses, hiring a full-time accountant is not feasible. Many of these companies delegate accounting tasks to a virtual assistant with knowledge of tax, bookkeeping, and accounting software such as QuickBooks, Xero, NetSuite, and FreshBooks.
As a Virtual Bookeeping Assistant, your duties will include:
- Inventory management
- Follow record keeping and bookkeeping procedures.
- Do the year-end accounting
- Account recognition
- Income expense management
- Payroll processing
- Bank and credit card reconciliation
- Enter data into Excel or accounting software
Other types of virtual assistants
If none of the virtual assistant specialties above interest you, you may consider the following services:
- Product launch wizard
- WordPress wizard
- Graphics Wizard
- Technical assistant
- Customer service assistant
- Community Manager Assistant
- SEO technical assistant
- Amazon Seller Assistant
- Shopify Assistant
- Lead Generation Assistant / LinkedIn
There are several virtual assistant services you can offer online, but by presenting yourself as the go-to VA resource for a particular skill set and field, you gain a competitive edge in this competitive space. I hope these types of virtual assistants have given you clarity on what you want to do with your skills.