If you have any SEO skills, there are ways to use them for a living. If you are not sure how you can do it, here is a post for you. We look at some promising ways to make money from SEO.
How to make money with SEO
1. Sell microservices
Any subset of SEO – You can think of it as a microservice. The most popular examples are:
- Technical SEO
- Link building
- Keyword research
- Guest posting on high authority websites.
SEO agencies are almost always understaffed. That is why any contractor who can take on some of your workloads is always welcome.
There are several platforms / ways to monetize and sell microservices:
- Upwork and a host of other independent platforms
- Pitching agencies.
2. Use SEO writing as a service
Instead of focusing on a certain SEO microservice, you can choose to offer SEO copywriting services. There are all kinds of writing, such as technical writing, creative writing, on white paper, etc. You can choose your favorite and work with different clients.
To reach them, you can do many things, such as:
- Contacting agencies
- Contact companies that are directly looking for a writer.
- Finding a job writing job boards
- Use independent marketplaces like Upwork, Fiverr, and Guru to sell your services.
- Connect with potential customers through LinkedIn marketing
3. Receive affiliate commissions
If you follow this path, you had better become an Amazon affiliate. Here are some reasons why it makes sense:
- Amazon maintains the largest inventory of products in the world, outperforming all other e-commerce websites.
- People all over the world buy things on Amazon. So if you can get your products on your site, you may get credit for any other purchases buyers make. However, no promises!
Here’s an example of how to approach it: Write an article on your website that looks at multiple Amazon products from a category. Use a BUY NOW option for each product that redirects the user to Amazon.
This model works because anyone who reads a review article about a product is already in the sales funnel. They are just one step away from buying the product. All it takes is a little push.
You can always get commissions for the product reviews you write and personally like. Even months after writing, content of this nature will still make a lot of money.
There are other affiliate networks you can join in addition to Amazon Associates. For more information on how to make money with this model, read this guide for affiliates
4. Monetize a blog with high traffic
Once you know the ins and outs of SEO well, you can always blog to generate a ton of traffic. The money comes from the ads you place on the website.
Here are some ways to monetize a blog:
- Custom banner ads
- Ads on the Google Display Network
- Advertising package
- Sponsored content
For this type of model to work, it’s important to write about high-traffic niches with few competitors. Most of the emerging verticals not yet invested in SEO are the most promising niches, such as:
- Vintage clothing
- Streetwear culture
5. Sell SEO services to agencies
Many web development companies that are starting to offer SEO services to their clients lack that initial experience. Therefore, instead of taking over the work, they would normally outsource the services to an outside expert.
While the freelancer does all the heavy lifting, the SaaS SEO agency is the one that maintains the backend relationship with clients.
But for this kind of relationship to work, clear lines must be drawn in terms of compromises. Make sure you decide who will be responsible for:
Most of these relationships fail due to unclear lines of communication and things that get lost.
6. Receive payment of customer consultation fees
Before someone can go on to form a digital agency, they would typically start by consulting clients on a one-on-one basis. The arrangement is quite simple in that the SEO expert provides his skills and knowledge to the client in exchange for a predetermined fee (usually per hour).
Several factors determine the hourly rate:
- The type of experience you have and your results.
- The needs of your clients and the scope of the project.
- Your track record and reputation
If you want to be a successful SEO consultant, it is best to focus on a niche so that you can establish yourself as an expert over the years.
7. Dropship products on your website
Maintaining an e-commerce site can be too much work. That’s why drop shipping might be a better option.
With drop shipping, you don’t have to keep any inventory of the physical product. Rather, you use your site only to place orders. It is the retailer / manufacturer who, upon receipt of the order, will ship the product directly to the customer.
The only problem with drop shipping is that the margins are too low. Sometimes you will only get a 10% discount on each sale. That means unless you get a TON of traffic, you may not make any money.
However, if you’re someone who doesn’t care about small margins and just wants to put in a little effort, you can always consider drop shipping as a source of passive income rather than setting up a full-blown ecommerce store.
You should work with a reputable manufacturer that can promise to deliver quality products on time. People have high expectations of online stores. Anything that isn’t perfect could quickly damage your reputation.
8. Find and work with SEO clients
If you blog or like to guest post on high-quality sites, you may have potential clients contacting you directly. But, besides that too, there are a couple of techniques that you can use, like:
- Reach out to companies through cold emails and LinkedIn.
- Reach out to companies that are investing heavily in advertising and yet don’t rank highly.
- Work with web development and graphic design agencies
- Get included in online marketing directories.
Ultimately, your success as an SEO expert and how much money you end up making depends on your skills and the type of results you can deliver.