Due to the boom in online shopping, most people transact online to purchase goods and services online through payment gateways. The payment gateway is the backbone of any business that operates online and sells its products to customers.
It is without a doubt the easiest way for a business to collect payments online through their app or website.
Today, people not only use their credit or debit cards, they also use methods like netbanking, UPI, and cash wallets.
With the ease of payment gateways, all you need is a computer or smartphone and you’re good to go. This article will tell you about the top 10 payment gateways in India.
As a business or a customer, you need to know about them, as payment gateways are the reason that online businesses exist in the first place.
Online payment gateways act like tunnels and connect your bank account to the platform you are using to buy a certain thing. Payment gateways play a third-party role and facilitate money transfer.
For example, when you buy a certain thing on Amazon or any other e-commerce website, a payment gateway takes money from your bank account and returns it to Amazon or whatever other website you are using.
Before diving into the major payment gateways, you need to know how a payment gateway works.
The operation of a payment gateway
A payment gateway focuses on making online payments safe and hassle-free. Encrypts sensitive information entered by the user. In a nutshell, this is how the payment actually happens:
1- When a customer finally decides to buy a product, he presses the ‘proceed to payment’ button or any other equivalent button. This triggers the following process.
2- After the first step, the payment gateway option opens for the customer to enter the required information such as card number, UPI ID, CVV, credit card number, etc. Once the relevant information is added, a new page opens for a secure transaction.
3- Once the payment gateway receives a positive notification about the transaction, the transaction is successful. In case of wrong information or any other obstacle, the payment gateway shows an error.
4- Once the payment is completed, the customer receives a confirmation notification.
The top 10 payment gateways
There are a large number of payment gateways available on the Internet. Some of these gateways are country-specific, while others also operate internationally. Payment gateways not only help customers while shopping online, but they also help small and large businesses.
Like Stripe, Razorpay is the most popular payment gateway in India. Since its inception in 2013, the payment gateway has come a long way and developed a lot.
Recently, Razorpay has incorporated new things like payment links, subscriptions, UPI automatic payment, smart collection, payment pages, etc.
Many of the leading e-commerce businesses and establishments use Razorpay as their payment gateway and it is due to the reliability and ease of use.
Some of the advantages of using Razorpay include:
- Zero setup fee
- No annual maintenance fee
- Transaction fees are low and generally range from 2-3%, depending on the mode of payment.
Razorpay has a simple user interface, therefore it is easy to understand and use. The subscription feature allows you to accept payments periodically (monthly, quarterly, or annually).
The email feature is amazing too, informing customers of the success or failure of a transaction. It also offers a large number of payment options to choose from.
Some of Razorpay’s main customers include Spicejet, Zomato, Swiggy, Grofers, and Airtel.
Learn more about Razorpay.
Founded in 2001, CCAvenue is an old name when it comes to payment gateways in India. CCAvenue supports payments and transactions in all the banks and payment options that exist.
It is a trusted payment gateway known for its trustworthiness and trustworthiness.
These are some of the advantages of using CCAvenue:
- No setup fee for Startup Pro Plan and Rs. 30,000 for the privilege plan.
- The annual maintenance fee is Rs. 1200
- The transaction fee ranges from 2% to 4% per transaction.
CCAvenue uses and supports multiple currencies. Not all currencies are supported, but most of them, such as US dollar, euro, etc., are available. CCAvenue has the most payment options, supports more than 100 debit cards, more than 53 net banking, mobile wallets, and more than 40 bank IMPS.
Some of the most popular CCAvenue clients are, Make My Trip, Myntra, Snapdeal, Naukri, AirAsia, etc.
Learn more about CCAvenue.
3. No cash
It is a modern payment gateway that enables businesses to collect and transfer payments through nearly 100 methods such as MasterCard, Visa, Rupay, IMPS, NEFT, PayTM, Pay Later, and other EMI options.
According to the information provided by the company, more than 3000 companies have used CashFree to process more than Rs. 2500 million rupees.
Some of the outstanding features that CashFree offers include:
- Easy access to a PayPal account. CashFree users can easily switch to their PayPal account for international payments. This is the result of a partnership between the two companies and CashFree was even incubated by PayPal.
- CashFree also offers PayTM account linking as a wallet option.
- It’s very easy to transfer money to a bank account, PayTM wallet, or any UPI ID in no time.
- It has the facility of settlement of market providers.
- No installation fee and no annual maintenance fee.
- The transaction fee ranges from 1.95% to 2.95%.
Learn more about CashFree.
PayUMoney was established in 2015. PayUMoney is a brand of PayU India and helps small and medium-sized businesses to manage their transactions and help customers.
Currently, PayUMoney has more than 4000 clients.
Some of the most prominent features of PayUMoney are:
- No setup fee.
- No annual maintenance fee.
- Average transaction fee is 2%
Some of the main PayUMoney clients include BookMyShow, Freecharge, ShopClue, Pepperfry, etc.
Learn more about PayUMoney.
It started in 2012 and has been one of the best options for customers to pay for digital items. Nowadays, it is gaining popularity and now brands are also using it for payments for physical items such as tickets, merchandise, etc.
Some of the most prominent features of Instamojo are:
- Zero setup fee.
- No annual maintenance fee.
- The transaction fee is usually 2%, with an additional 3 rupees.
Learn more about Instamojo.
It is a French-based brand focused on providing payment processing services. He has received mixed reviews from his clients. Nonetheless, EBS is considered one of the trusted payment gateways out there.
Some of the most prominent features of the EBS payment gateway are:
- The setup fee is high and ranges from Rs. 4700 to Rs. 24,000, depending on the plan.
- The annual maintenance fee is Rs 2,400.
- The transaction fee ranges from 1.25% to 3.75%.
Some of EBS’s main clients are Snapdeal, FirstCry, and BabyOye.
Learn more about EBS.
PayPal is a global brand and the world’s first digital payments service started in the US, it claims to have processed 4 billion payments so far. PayPal has more than 170 million regular customers. It is a great platform for individuals or companies dealing with international clients. It supports more international currencies than all the payment gateways mentioned here.
Indian citizens mainly use PayPal to accept payments from international customers. Some prominent features of PayPal are:
- No fee for payment gateway service or maintenance fee.
- The transaction fee is around 4.4%.
- PayPal does not recognize Indian currency. Also, as an Indian, you can only receive payments through PayPal.
- PayPal also charges you for the currency conversion.
Learn more about PayPal.
PayKun is an Indian payment gateway that guarantees a secure transaction between the buyer and the seller. It is an excellent payment gateway for small businesses, sole proprietorships, NGOs, e-commerce, etc.
Some prominent features of PayKun relate
- No installation cost and no annual maintenance fees.
- The transaction fee is 1.75% (for domestic transactions).
- A payment retry option is available.
- Easy to use control panel.
Learn more about PayKun.
9. Atom payment gateway
Atom Paynetz is a payment gateway of the FT group and has more than 100 payment options and deals with more than 4500 merchants nationwide.
Some of the more prominent features of Atom Paynetz include:
- No annual maintenance fee for the first year. For the second year, it is Rs. 2400.
- The transaction fee ranges from 0.75% to 2.1%.
- Multi-currency support is not available.
Learn more about the Atom Payment Gateway.
PayTM is another popular payment gateway in India. It has become a leading payment gateway and also offers other services such as UPI payment. Some of the salient features of PayTM include:
- Supports all national credit cards like Visa, Maestro, Amex, MasterCard, etc. along with international credit cards.
- The transaction fee is around 1.99%.
- Zero annual business requirements are needed.
- It does not support multiple currencies.
Learn more about PayTM.
Payment gateways have made online payments simple and more secure. They have helped people trust digital transactions and businesses small and large to get more customers.
Payment gateways have even helped companies spread their wings in the international market. In both ways, payment gateways have revolutionized online payments, and in the future, the process will be more secure and hassle-free. How many of these payment gateways have you used so far?